I love books, but I hate the library. Maybe it’s because it’s too quiet for me, or because I can’t eat in there, or because it’s simply too depressing that I’m there when it’s 83 degrees outside. I’m obviously a total nerd, but for some reason I haven’t ever been able to vibe with the lib.
Lately though, I’ve been under a ton of stress with grad school being grad school, and sometimes I just can’t get anything done unless I’m in a Place Where You’re Supposed To Get Things Done. So I got my butt over to Ellis Library, a beautiful but crowded library on campus that I typically avoid like the plague.
PLOT TWIST: To my utter shock and relief, the library has an awesome coffee shop in it.
I mean, I kind of always knew it was there, but never actually thought it was a thing. And I remembered Rule #1 of Caffeinated Californian: You never know where your next source of inspiration (caffeine) will be. Repeating for emphasis:
Rule #1 of Caffeinated Californian: You never know where your next source of inspiration (caffeine) will be.
That said, you should definitely try your local library if you haven’t already, because you never know what hidden gem you’ll find. At my library, it’s called Bookmark Cafe, and it’s the most perfect new study spot I have ever discovered.
I stumbled upon it by getting lost in the stacks, and then seeing a sign for pumpkin spice lattes. They really knew how to get me.
Is their PSL better than the Starbucks PSL? That will be a later post for colder weather. This time I went with an iced latte, because again, 83 degrees outside.
The menu isn’t bad, though, and I’m not sure who is in charge of a student-staffed coffee place in the basement of a school library, but props to them.
Okay, here we go with the usual list.
Perks of perking up at the library:
- You are in the mindset of being the kind of person that actually goes to the library, and you can trick yourself into possibly getting work done
- It’s open late, so you have an excuse to get your coffee fix at a ridiculous hour, and then when you’re pulling a caffeine-induced all-nighter you can still be productive
- Peer pressure from the people having marathon study sessions around you. It’s like being at the gym
- Once you’re there, it’s easier to stay there and finish what you started (again, the library shares some odd similarities with going to the gym)
- It’s the one place you can eat food at the library! Game-changer!
- You feel slightly less basic than if you’d gotten Starbucks
- You can count this as a cultural activity since there may be artwork on the walls
- Reliable wifi is always a plus for me and my spotty service at home
- You might actually be happy to be at the library for once!
Will I be a library regular now? Who knows. At least they make a decent latte, and that’s all it takes to make me happy where I am!