Growing up in southern California, I never experienced the fall season at full force. Now, in the middle of Missouri, I love nothing more than the crispy cold air, the gold and red leaves, the endless corn mazes, and the excuse for fall fashion and beauty. Well, and the excuse for pumpkin spice lattes. But you already knew that. And who really needs an excuse for PSLs, anyways?
What I love about the fall is the drama it brings. Halloween parties? Haunted houses? Hayrides? Thanksgiving break? Outdoor concerts? Football games? It’s all the prime opportunity for some dramatic beauty looks, and no dramatic look is complete without the right red lipstick on hand. Because when the leaves turn red and the basic girls start dressing as vampires, it’s time for your lips to follow suit.
In this Fave Five post, I’ve rounded up my top five lip products for achieving the bold red lip, with both mass and prestige products to pick from. Let’s rock ‘n roll, shall we?
- Chanel Rouge Coco Ultra Hydrating Lip Colour: Chanel lipstick is iconic. So iconic that no respectable lipstick roundup would leave it out. It’s a classic for a reason– it makes you feel like Coco herself. After all, it was Coco Chanel who said, “If you’re feeling sad, add more lipstick and attack.” Wise words from a wise woman. Buy her lipstick.
- NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in Kitten Heels: I love how smoothly this goes on, and you honestly can’t beat the $6.99 price tag. It’s sold in places like Target, so you can easily pick it up next time you’re getting groceries. An excellent dupe if, like me, you don’t currently have the resources to spring for Chanel.
- Ulta Lipstick in Chili Pepper 203: A deep brownish red that fits flawlessly into fall. This is my weapon of choice for hayrides and bonfires, and because it’s such a small, convenient size, I keep it in my purse at all times for when I’m seeing red and need to add a lip on the go.
- Kylie Cosmetics Mary Jo K Lip Kit: I first tried the Kylie Lip Kit when I got the holiday edition for Christmas (Santa gets me and my beauty needs), and I. Am. A. Believer. In spite of my skepticism, I wore the lip kit out one night to a Christmas bar crawl, and it stayed perfectly in place like nothing I’ve ever seen. For a long haul like Halloween or football tailgates, the Lip Kit is a lifesaver. Try it in this shade of true red.
- Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in F-Bomb: With a name like F-Bomb, how can you not buy the shade? This is a classic red cream color for when you need to summon your inner Marilyn (Monroe, not Manson) and bring the drama. F-Bomb is truly The Bomb.
Which lipstick makes you feel your most badass during the fall? Comment below if you have your own favorites!
Lip color: Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in F-Bomb
As someone lucky enough to be in the path of totality for this year’s Solar Eclipse (score one for Missouri), I can say with full confidence that I have no idea what I’m about to witness. But it does say a lot about 2017 if the highlight of the year is the sun getting temporarily blocked out by the moon.
I can also say with full confidence that any celestial event is a good excuse for celestial beauty (and for listening to David Bowie). While the sun glows from behind the moon, your face can glow from behind the best highlighter, eye shadow and moisturizer a girl can find.
To celebrate the fact that my world will be plunged into total darkness for two minutes and thirty five seconds, I present my top solar eclipse-inspired beauty accessories, from head to toe:
- Sequin Scrunchie: I absolutely love this oversized sequin scrunchie from Free People! No one does hair accessories like FP, and this one’s no exception. Your basic pony will shine bright in the starlight today or any other day!
- NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in Little Denim Dress: Okay, so I know it’s a little out there to wear bright blue lipstick, but hear me out. With the Mermaid trend and Unicorn trend taking over mainstream beauty and mainstream Starbucks drinks (I never did try the Unicorn Frappucino), blue lipstick will become the norm. So jump on this trend now in anticipation of my predicted Alien trend.
- OPI Nail Lacquer in By the Light of the Moon: I always loved a good glittery pedicure, in spite of my desire to be less basic. And this shade name is just too spot-on to not wear for an eclipse.
- Ulta Beauty Liquid Illuminator in Bright Lights: This is my favorite everyday highlighter, and when I want an extra oomph, I add extra glow.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kit – Moonchild: The ultimate kit for even MORE glow. There can never be enough glow.
- Urban Decay Moondust Eye Shadow in Intergalactic: The Moondust shadows are a fan favorite, and it’s because they’re super pigmented and gorgeously colored. If you want a glitter smoky eye, this is your stuff. End of discussion.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Metallic Luster Liner in Liquid Silver: You can’t forget a good metallic liner for this, even with solar eclipse glasses on. Anastasia Beverly Hills does it right.
- Algenist SPLASH Absolute Hydration Replenishing Sleeping Pack: I was always skeptical about overnight moisturizers since I have combination skin on the oily side. But I’ll try anything once, and a perk of working in PR is getting free samples. So I gave this sleeping pack a go, and I was amazed at how much it made my skin glowy and dewy the next morning. And no breakouts! I think it’s a general skincare rule to moisturize even with oily skin, because dry skin can cause more breakouts.
Last, but not least…
Of course, don’t forget your most important accessory: Grab a pair of solar eclipse glasses! Check that the vendor is on the approved list before buying. Please don’t burn your eyes out. And remember to protect your phone if you take pictures– the sun can burn your camera the same way it burns your eyes!